Travel to Ladakh – Travelogues from the mountain countryAlso see: Mountains & Monasteries, A Photography Tour to Ladakh On my very first visit to Ladakh in year 2008, I spent about 60 days in the region, travelling by public transport, shared taxis, hitching a ride, riding on rented motor-bikes and even on foot and just a little bit horse back. This was just the first visit. I went back again, both in summer and winters as Ladakh grew on me and there was so much to see and do. I have written about all my journeys in a series of stories on this blog, now over 40 posts growing.
Introduction and Beginning of the Journey
Manali – Leh Highway: Travelling to Leh by Road
- Transport Options, Costs and Time Taken
- Manali to Rohtang Pass
- Rohtang Pass to Keylong
- Stopping at Keylong
- Keylong to Sarchu
- Sarchu to Pang
- Pang to Leh
Leh town – travelogues, travel guide, information
- Arriving at Leh.
- Leh, the first impressions and an overview of the town.
- Spending an evening at Shanti Stupa.
- Seeing places – Leh Palace, Namgyal Tsemo Gompa and Soma Gompa
- The guesthouse at Leh with friendly owners, a spacious garden and some Ladakhi food.
- The complete guide to Leh – places to see and things to do.
Monasteries of Ladakh
- Thiksey Gompa – I
- Thiksey Gompa – II
- Alchi Monastery
- Likir Monastery
- Spituk Monastery
- Namgyal Tsemo and Soma Gompa
- Lamayuru Monastery and the moonland
People of Ladakh
- The cheerful people of Ladakh
- Ladakh – Good Samaritans
- A few bad experiences with people of Ladakh
- The Kashmiris in Ladakh
- The confident Ladakhi
- Ladakh – Locals and Tourists
- The tourist trap and Dha-Hanu
Winter in Ladakh
- A primer to Ladakh in Winter
- Leh, Ladakh in winter
- Chadar Trek - Walking on the frozen Zanskar River
Pangong Lake - A bike ride from Leh to Pangong Tso and staying in Spangmik Village
- Hiring a Bullet Thunderbird and heading to Panong Lake, climbing over Chang La
- Descending Chang La and seeing a beautiful lake on the way
- Trouble with the bike and getting helped by strangers
- Crossing the troublesome pagal nala on the way
- Pangong Lake
- Spangmik Village on the bank of Pangong Lake
Tso Moriri Lake and Korzok Village
- First impressions of Tso Moriri Lake and Korzok Village
- Tso Moriri Lake
- Images of Tso Moriri Lake
- Photos - Monks at Korzok Gustor Festival
- Korzok Gustor Festival
- Photos - Ladakhi Children at Korzok
- Photos - Faces of Ladakh - Changspa women at Korzok
- Pastures of Korzok Fu and Changspa Nomads
- Nubra Valley
- Nine day trek from Padum (in Zanskar) to Darcha (in Himachal)
- Ladakh Photo Gallery
- Images - landscapes of Ladakh
And here is what I will be writing about in the coming days.
- The long way to Zanskar
- The lasting impressions of Ladakh.