Our next photography tour is to the grandest temples and heritage sites near Thanjavur, combined with Darasuram, Kumbhakonam and Gangaikondacholapuram.
Chola Grandeur – Outdoor Photography Tour of Chola Nadu
Ocober 6th, 7th and 8th – Dasara Holidays
|Images of Thanjavur|
This Dussehra, Darter Photography takes you to Thanjavur, Darasuram, Kumbakonam and Gangaikondacholapuram. Chola Grandeur is a 3-day outdoor photography tour designed to cover a range of interesting subjects around Thanjavur.
- Architecture and Heritage. Thanjavur and Darasuram and Gangaikondacholapuram are home to temples that are part of the UNESCO Heritage Site – The Great Living Chola Temples. As you step off the dusty streets of Thanjavur through the gates of the Sivaganga Fort and get your first glimpse of the Brihadeshwara Temple, the scale and beauty of the temple would make you crane your neck and drop your jaw. The 1000 year old temple still has the same grandeur that it must have commanded when it was built in the 11th century. The Airavateshwara Temple at Darasuram would take your breath away with the stunning architecture and intricate carvings.
- Bustling Street Life. Kumbakonam is steeped in history and culture. As many as 80 ancient, and culturally significant, temples dot this town. The temple complexes and the streets here offer some excellent photography opportunities.
The tour calendar includes:
- Visits to the UNESCO Heritage Sites of Brihadeshwara Temple (Thanjavur) and Airavateshwara Temple (Darasuram), Kumbakonam and Gangaikondacholapuram
- Expert sessions on photography that would help you get good photographs during the tour
- On-field assistance
- Photography review sessions
This tour starts on the morning of 06-Oct (Thursday, Public Holiday for Dasara/Vijaya Dashami) and ends on the evening of 08-Oct (Saturday).
Please contact us if you’d like to extend your trip by one more day. The Darter Photography Expert will be available for photographing the street life at Sri Ranganathaswamy temple at Srirangam (near Trichy) – one of the largest temple complexes in the world – on 09-Oct (Sunday).
Is this tour for you?
The Chola Grandeur Tour is designed for photographers who want to explore and photograph the historical UNESCO sites of Thanjavur, Gangaikondacholapuram and Darasuram, along with the culturally rich Kumbakonam. The Darter Photography Expert would interact closely with every participant. Travellers who are not photographers but are keen to see and experience the places in the tour are also welcome to join this group.
Important Note: Non-Hindus are not allowed within the main sanctum of most temples in Tamil Nadu. This would ideally not hamper photography opportunities as photography is also restricted within the main sanctum.
Registration Details and Tour Cost
The tour fee for Chola Grandeur would be Rs.11,500 per person, ex-Thanjavur.
EARLY BIRD OFFER: Book before September 17 (Saturday) to avail a special fee of Rs. 10,500 per person.
To register for the tour or for more details, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 9740083260 (Shreeram M V) / 9880006460 (Arun Bhat) / 9537671737 (Shraddha Rathi).
The cost includes
• Accommodation on twin sharing basis in at Thanjavur
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner on all days
• Local transport
• Entry and camera fees
• Photography sessions, on-field assistance and image reviews
The cost does not include
• Transport from your location to Thanjavur and back
• Additional beverages, snacks and mineral water ordered at the restaurant
• Tips and other expenses not mentioned in the includes list above
Please contact us if you’d like to extend your trip by one more day. The Darter Photography Expert plans to photograph the street life at Sri Ranganathaswamy temple at Srirangam (near Trichy) – one of the largest temple complexes in the world – on 09-Oct (Sunday).
Darter Photography Expert: Shreeram M V
Shreeram is a professional wildlife and travel photographer. His images are widely acclaimed have found place in publications and desktop calendars. His passion for travel has taken him to many places across India – from rainforests to mountains to high-altitude deserts to grasslands to coasts – to create beautiful photographs. He was mesmerized with the stupendous architecture of Thanjavur on his first visit and has spent considerable time exploring and photographing places around Thanjavur. See some of his works at www.visualquotient.net